Thursday, January 19, 2012

Understanding The True Self And The False Self

Meditation is an attempt to find the true self. It is this self which holds
the identity of what I am, an identity which, when realized, gives *
fulfillment* and *direction* to our life. This is what we call the
consciousness of 'I am', which emerges in meditation when there is
concentration on the present and we focus on the now of 'I am', rather than
the past, or the future (‘I was', or 'I will be').

To remind us of this state, we use the word 'OM', which means 'I am a soul',
the spiritual identity that acts as a key to human consciousness. As we find
and realize the true self through meditation, we become aware of the false
self and how deeply embedded it is in our lives, both in our way of thinking
and being.

When we understand this illusory (false) self then we can begin the process
of dissolving its negative effects on the original or true self.
In tomorrow's message, we will discuss some of these illusions and their
negative effects on our personality.
The illusory (false) self is made up of desires that, even when fulfilled,
fail to add value, or a sense of worth to the self. In fact, quite the
opposite process happens.

Let us examine some of these illusions and how they give us a mistaken sense
of value.

*Illusion (False emotion):* Ego

*Thought:* I know, I am

*Result:* Arrogance, inflexibility, controlling others

*Illusion (False emotion):* Anger

*Thought:* I expect

*Result: *Force, aggression

*Illusion (False emotion): *Attachment

*Thought: *I own, It's mine

*Result: *Insecurity, possessiveness, jealousy

*Illusion (False emotion): *Greed

*Thought: *I want, I need

*Result: *Emptiness, wanting, dissatisfaction

*Illusion (False emotion): *Lust

*Thought: *I desire

*Result: *Exploitation, misuse, emotional dependence

These are the five fires that burn away the quality of human life:
uncontrolled emotions that once, in their original pure state, gave
happiness and peace to the individual but now create only emptiness and
sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment