Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Role Of My Intentions In Shaping My Future

The word 'karma' has been given many negative meanings. In common language,
most people almost always relate it to suffering, but the simplest meaning
of 'karma' is action. Newton's Third Law of Physics (every action has an
equal and opposite reaction) is a physical law of motion. The Law of 'Karma'
is the metaphysical (non-physical) equivalent of the Newton's Third Law - it
refers to action and its result (fruit) or, simply, cause and effect. *The
quality of my actions, thoughts more specifically determines my personal
level of happiness.* Our natures today are the result of everything we have
thought; they are formed by our thoughts. *It's not so much the act that
determines the return or fruit but the quality of the motive or intention
behind it* e.g. in the simple task of buying a new car, the intention can be
different in the case of three different people:

* I need to buy a good car; it's an urgent need of my family. (concern)
* What if I am not able to buy that car model which my wife so badly wants?
(worry)
* With me at the wheel of the brand new car, which I will be buying soon, I
will be the talk of the town, my office colleagues will really be jealous of
me! (ego)

Although the action is the same in each case, each of these attitudes will
lead to a different result. This role of intentions become clear when
analyzing the difference in guilt between an army officer who kills another
while protecting his country and another person who plans for months to
commit a murder out of personal enmity and hatred. The 'karma' of taking the
life of someone is the same in both cases, but the return or fruit of the
'karma' depends on the intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment