Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Source Of Our Feelings

The topmost area of the mind is the area of conscious thought. Thoughts
arise in our awareness like bubbles. Many thoughts carry a feeling or a
series of feelings along with them e.g. the thought at a restaurant - 'I
love how that pizza looks', could be accompanied by feelings of hunger, or
greed, or happiness, or yearning (longing) or anticipated satisfaction.

The fact offered by spirituality and supported by experiences of many
people who are spiritual is that *feelings, as well as thoughts, originate
from the soul*.

Feelings are clearly reflected in the form of physical changes in our body:
I may feel my heart beat fast with excitement, my mouth salivate with joy,
my stomach sink with fear, my hands shiver or goose pimples on my arms with
nervousness, etc. This is because the soul and body are interconnected and
work in complementary ways, so that what goes on in the soul is definitely
reflected in the body, and what goes on in the body is reflected in the
soul. The degree to which both these processes happen in each individual is
different. *It's not that feelings arise out of nothing, or merely as a
reaction to external stimulation by people, objects, nature, etc. Thoughts
are followed by feelings. So we can understand that both of them arise from
the soul.* Recognizing this is an important step if I want to break free
from cycles of unwanted or unsuitable thoughts and feelings.

(To be continued tomorrow ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment